You've got your Sundriven UV wear to protect your body, you have sunscreen for your face...but what about your hair? Just like your protecting your hands, many people forget that they should be protecting their hair and scalp from the sun. Excessive sun exposure can make your hair look dry, brittle, discolored, frizzy, and even thinning with split ends. Your hair is even more vulnerable to sun damage if it is a lighter color or fine. Some dermatologists even say the sun acts like bleach on the hair - it can really damage your hair's cuticle and protein.
Regardless of your hair type, it's important to protect it from the sun. To sufficiently protect it, follow the same rules you would for your skin.
- Try to avoid being in the sun too long during peak hours - the afternoon.
- Wear a hat or carry around an umbrella to thoroughly protect your hair and scalp from sun rays.
- If you swim in a pool, make sure you rinse out the chlorine afterwards.
- Moisturize! Just as you would use lotion on your body, use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner. You may also want to consider doing a weekly hair mask to keep your hair in healthy shape.
- Try to avoid excessive styling using hair straighteners, blow dryers, and curling irons. When you do use them, make sure you use a UV heat protecting spray.
There are a few products out on the market that have UV protectors in them and are designed to protect your hair from UV damage. While these may be able to help a little, many dermatologists agree that no product on the market can entirely protect your hair and scalp except a hat or umbrella.
If a hat or umbrella isn't your style, consider a stylish hooded scarf, like the Sundriven Olivia hooded scarf or the Lena hooded wrap. If you own a small silk scarf, consider wrapping that around your head like a turban. However, just remember that silk doesn't have UPF in it like Sundriven's natural fabric does.
We are big proponents of living an active life outdoors, which is why we don't avoid the sun and instead just make sure to protect our beautiful skin and hair!
Author: Melissa Darcey