I bet you've heard the phrase "just put on some lip gloss and get over it!" at least once in your lifetime. Well ladies, that might not be such a good idea anymore...at least not in the sun.
Lip gloss is definitely one of my personal favorite cosmetic products. I can't leave the house without it, and I need it to complete my look every time. The glossy finish brightens my face up, and makes my lips appear more plump and moisturized.
Although you might think that this post is about the ingredients in the actual lip gloss that could cause skin cancer, its not. The problem with lip gloss is the fact that the vast majority of them have no sun protection built into them. Some dermatologists also feel that the shiny nature of lip gloss attracts the rays of the sun, gathering them and focusing them onto the lips like a magnifying glass.
Look at it this way, dermatologists have stated that baby oil is not a good idea for bathing in the sun. This is because it contains no sun protection, and creates a glossy finish on the skin that concentrates the rays of the sun so that you’re much more likely to suffer from a burn. Lip gloss may present a similar problem.
Regardless, the lips are commonly missed when it comes to applying sun protection along with these other spots:
- Back of Neck
- Back of Hands
- Back of Legs
- Tops of Feet
What most people don't realize is that these areas are also skin, and they need to be protected. But could you apply sunscreen to your lips? The answer is yes!
I personally would not enjoy getting sunscreen into my mouth, so I would recommend just applying a lip balm with an SPF of at least 30 underneath lip gloss before leaving the house. Dermatologists also recommend wearing lipstick underneath your gloss, which serves as a sunblock.
Here are some natural, SPF protected lip balms that I have discovered, and can't wait to try:
LIPLUX®SPF30 Original Formula
- 70%+ Certified Organic
- UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum Protection
- Vitamin and antioxidant enriched
- Water Resistant (80 minutes)
- No nano-sized particles
Kiss My Face®Sport Lip Balm SPF30
- Extra SPF 30 protection for active adults and children.
- Long lasting.
- Organic ingredients is preservative free and water resistant.
- With natural beeswax, coconut oil, vitamin E, shea butter and scented with lime and spearmint essential oils.
Eco Lips®SPF 30 Sport Lip Balm
- SPF 30 UVA/UVB protection.
- A hint of vanilla is tucked into an all-day moisture treat for your lips.
- Ingredients include Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Vitamin E, and Organic Calendula Extract.
- Gluten and cruelty free!
Comment if you use any of these products or are looking into purchasing, and let me know what you think of the post. Sending protected kisses!
Authors: Nazanin Yashar